May 02, 2018
The printing of the engine block was the biggest print we’d ever attempted, by far. At 20 percent infill it took just over 79 hours to complete.
This is the link to the model I used: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1911808
The designer of the engine model, Eric Harrell partnered with MakerX to create a hardware kit that contains all of the hardware needed to build the engine. It contains the motor, speed control, power supply, all the hardware, the metal rods, the valve springs, the magnets, the timing belt, everything. The project would have been much more difficult without this, I highly recommend it. The price was 85 bucks, well worth it if you want to build this engine. The kit also came with all the bearings you need, but I left those out and used some dry ceramic hybrids from stock, SMR6701C-YZZ (12x18x4) and SMR6700C-YZZ (10x15x4). I noticed a huge difference in how free the crankshaft spins.
Printing the cylinder heads took about 19 hours each.
We printed all of the pistons and connecting rods in one print, this is in gray PLA, the block and heads are in silver. This gives it a bit of contrast.
The total print time for all of the printed parts was about 200 hours. Overall the project took about a month or so from start to finish.