Dec 26, 2019
The obstacle avoidance autonomous vessel is complete. It is sea worthy (well very calm seas) and works as intended. There is an opening in the back of the vessel to allow easy battery change for the motors as well as a way to view the inner electronics. The top portion of the vessel is secured using 3D printed supports that is screwed to both the bottom and top portions of the hull. Initially, the plan was to glue the sections together, but the walls were so thin and there was also mild warping of the hull so gluing them together proved to be an almost impossible task. Another problem I ran into was fitting the ultrasonic sensors into the mounts on the top portion of the vessel. I previously tested them to make sure they fit, but I think when I spray painted/ sanded the hull, it must have added a few layers to the inside mounts. I used a file to open the holes a slight amount and the sensors were then able to fit firmly snug. The LEDs were fitted into the holes of the windows in the ASV as well. As of right now, the ASV is not entirely user friendly. A future modification to be made would be to change the design of the top hull mounting to allow easier access to the electronics in case of troubleshooting. Overall, this project taught me a lot about the importance of proper planning when it comes to the design phase of this project. I wanted to jump right in and start building parts, that I didn’t do the proper analysis that could have saved me a lot more time in the future. I also thought of more ideas as I was building the ASV, but was not able to implement them due to the design not being able to accommodate those ideas. For future projects, the design phase will be done a lot more closely. Even with the setbacks, I learned a lot working on the project and developed new skills as well as strengthen old ones. It has been storming a lot recently here in south Florida so as soon as the weather clears up, a video will be posted of the ASV in action.